Free-writing Insecurities…

Calendar Forums Blog Free-writing Insecurities…

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #120
    Michael Bentkowski
    Participant

Freewrite #1

In what ways am I a writer? Honestly, I’ve never given that question much thought. My father has always told me I was a great writer. With him being a talented poet himself I always thought I inherited his talents. However, I was in for a rude awakening during my Junior year of high school. Taking the SAT and my Honors American Literature class told me otherwise. Writing was my the lowest of the three scores on the SAT and I never managed to “excel” during my writing assignments in my literature class. With that story being told, and totally digressing from the actual question,  I believe I write everyday. Whether it’s texting, instagram posts with meaningful content… well actually maybe I don’t write that much but… I write.

Some anxieties and expectations for this course are that I will not perform to the desired level as a result of prior lack of study. Though that is something that can be applied to every class. For example: In Calculus; do I remember how to derive this, in biology; what was the name of that bone? I guess in this class the worry is do I remember how to express my thoughts clearly and in enough detail that satisfies every grammatical and length need of my instructor. (re-reading the paragraph and thinking that it doesn’t flow enough… sigh) After re-reading this part of the question by the way I’ve determined that I haven’t throughly answered it… sorry?

I don’t hate writing, I hate the process of writing. It is such a long process. Just when you think your writing piece is perfect and you’ve done the “dad” check, the grammarly check, you name it… the instructor seems to always find something wrong with it. Who knows, is it me? Or is it the process itself?

An experience that affected my relationship to writing was when my Literature class teacher in high school constantly bombarded my college essay. After 6 drafts it had changed so much I didn’t even recognize it. I don’t know what the issue is, but I’ve been told my thoughts don’t “mesh” enough. Meh, times up.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.