Calendar Forums LABOR LOG #3 LABOR LOG #3

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Cindy Reka
    Participant

Cindy Reka

Labor Log (3) for the Week Ending September 16th

Reading, Listening, Viewing

This week, I watched Black Mirror Season 1 Episode 2: Fifteen Million Merits (Netflix) and responded by analyzing the role that visual elements played in the episode. Then, the next day, I revisited and skimmed through “ContraPoints: What’s Wrong with Capitalism? Pt. 1 and Pt. 2” since I had already watched these videos for this class last week. I reviewed them and wrote about what I learned in the weekly commons blog. I then went on to create this labor log, which took me about 2 days (each for about 30 minutes), so that I could accurately describe this week’s actions regarding this class.

Writing

This week’s writing assignment involved writing a 300 word understanding of an episode of Black Mirror. As a class, we had to respond by analyzing the role that visual elements play in this episode. This writing task took me about an hour or so. Other than that, I am also currently completing this labor log which in total has taken me about another hour. This assignment helped me immensely in my understanding of how visual attributes may greatly enhance a viewer’s experience. Having to learn about the impact of visual elements through popular culture actually greatly helped me understand this week’s topic and effectively immerse myself into this particular assignment.

Providing & Responding to Feedback

Thus far I received one response from my teacher about my first week’s response. She asked that I give more details in my next post, which I fully understand and tried to implement this time around.

Reflecting

The act of watching an entertaining show, and then attempting to understand the intent the visual elements in conveying the main message, was extremely helpful to me. It bettered my understanding of why authors sometimes like to include visual elements to their pieces. It allows viewers to immerse themselves in the fictional world that they’re witnessing. As for the videos regarding capitalism, they were an interesting political/economic twist in an English class, especially since in the past my English classes have not been very politics-oriented.

Collaborating

So far, we’ve yet to introduce any topics or projects in class that involve collaboration. However, I am open to and looking forward to any such interactions with my classmates.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar