Calendar Forums Project #2 Project#2

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anastasia Khaye
    Participant

Topic – <u>Does social media life make us lonely?</u>

1. Coleman, Gabriella. “Anonymous: From the Lulz to Collective Action”. NYU

<u>http://mediacommons.org/tne/pieces/anonymous-traveling-pure-lulz-land-political-territories</u>

First of all, when we define the meaning and target of ANONYMOUS group, we could quite to understand the effect of the group and their values in early 2000. Anonymous originated in 2003 on the imageboard 4chan representing the concept of many online and offline community users (Wikipedia). Participants of the Anonymous was interviewed by XYZ channel to understand what the reasons of their public activities were, and on the bottom line of all explanations, was loneliness.

The individuals of young adults from all over the world, which had dreams for a better future and potential to fulfill an important role in the society in the near future, was simply lonely by itself.

I believe that by the moment young generation taking their computers or phones to be connected with someone, or something important in their opinion, – opens their social media life, terrifying machine, that brings all of them to the loneliness. Back to the XIX century, and even 60 years ago people were more interacting with each other, and level of the social communication was incredibly higher. At the modern time, we might find people all over the place interacting with their phones and designing their social media pages, posting the best pictures of their fantasy life and adventures, tweeting and changing the status becoming more like an obligation and requires a terrific amount of time. And the question about does the technological progress and modern communications are for a better life? or we losing something important in our society?

Participants of the Anonymous were saying, that when they finally met each other outside of the computers, they felt at the first time, they are not alone. Is it really necessary for people to lose in order to gain each other? Social media life will bring more consequences than we can imagine at the moment now. I believe, that our grandchildren will definitely know more, but I don’t want to see how human beings separated by social media.

2)

Lorenz, Taylor. “How Twitter Became Home to the Teen Status Update: ‘Local Twitter’ is a booming network of basic, young suburbanites across the country.”

<u>https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/07/how-twitter-became-home-to-the-teen-status-update/564404/</u>

Today, we can see a lot of researchers about how young adults depend on their social media life. Why is so? Nowadays, in everyday activities young generation prefer to chat online, neither personal communication. I believe this fact led to the rise of social media web pages, such as Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, and blogging.

Taylor Lorenz discusses how posting the most significant changes in daily routine on Twitter, became so important and popular for young adults. The rest of the community cannot ignore that chatting and blogging became part of modern communication. If we will connect these thoughts with one of the episodes from popular TV series Black Mirror, Nosedive, I believe the picture might become clearer. The British TV show opens one of the possibilities of well-developed technological future, where everyone in the society depends on their social media rating. Everything there is circled and chain to the social media life, from work to friendship, getting coffee in the right place and price of the real estate, when buying a house.

If we are addicted now on recording any of changes in our profile and status on Twitter, for example, can we only imagine it in 20-30-year period? Modern young adults are spending half of their available time designing their profiles and communicating with each other online. I believe they are losing “real” communication and ability to build their friendship relationship at an early age. Communication in their understanding are becomes more formal and superficial.

4) Kelly, Kevin. “We are the Web”. Wired magazine, 08/01/2005.

https://www.wired.com/2005/08/tech/

From the Kelly’s perspective in the middle of 2000, next generation and understanding of new ways of communication were just gained momentum. People were still not so use to using the technologies as it is right now, but already were trying to make it more sufficient and effective.

All of that different people from all over the world were so enthusiastic about digital communications and technologies in general, that it spread incredibly fast in the society. Companies those days were trying new ways of marketing (even Amish community didn’t stand aside), consumers were gladly trying new ways of promotions and experimenting in ways how to get a product. I believe, the only one was different – people were still interacting with each other more closely, comparing to what we have now. Digital and media were developing in ways to help people communicate better, present themselves and achieve personal goals, such as education faster. Opportunities for us now, after we have all wins from technological side – not to forget, that everything were developed for us to be better, and to grow personally. Companies, such as Amazon, Google, Apple were just started in 2005, and people were start to explore new ways of interaction. After fourteen years, I would a little slow down and ask our self: “DO we happier”? Digital communication brought to us not only fast chatting and blogging, but ability to lose our time over an Internet.  It is hard to bring people together in personal, more efficient right now became interacting through media and Internet webpages.

5) Terkle, Sherry. “Alone together: Why we expect more from technology and less from each other” 2011.

Sherry Terkle is the Professor of the Social Studies of Science and Technology, she wrote a few books about influence of modern media technologies in everyday communications. In 2011 she presented her book “Alone together”, that I wish I would read earlier. Terkle stays that modern young adults loos their ability to personal communication, they more prefer chat, text and blog.

Optimism about having such a well-developed technological future is gone, and now scientists start to concern, where the modern generation is going to be in the near 10-20-30 years. It started to be complicated to interact with young people, because they don’t know how to do that, and they lost their ability to listen, understand and empathize each other. Millennials are more comfortable using the screens. They do not necessarily need to get too close to each other. Terkle saying “not too close, not too far, just as much as it needed to be”. We are pretend to express our personality on the social media pages, but at the same time we are closing it from our relatives, friends, and family. Millennials at the moment need just their social media life to be going on, and at some point, I believe, it is hard to say where the reflection, and where the reality. Teenagers do not prefer anymore going somewhere without the phone, but that fact was necessary for parents to be sure in their safety.  In some point, it moved all of the old reason, and became powerful tool for building virtual friends, relationships, and style of living. Nobody chitchat anymore in the elevator, in the line to a doctor, in the cab. We are all got use to using our mobile devices. I do not want the future, that British show “Black Mirror” shows to us. I do not want to stay alone with the screen of my computer, and more then that, I do not want this future for my daughter.

If we will take a closer look at the people on their breaks today, we will mention, how many individuals hiding their fear to be alone with their interaction on the phone. The technologies that were design for our convenience made us be different today. Babies grow up with the Ipads, we have screens in schools, and online education, many jobs force us to open an online accounts, by hiring through the mass media standards. Nowadays it became complicated to be on top in chase to draw a better picture of who we are online. I believe we all have to stop for a moment to think about how we want our lives to be presented, and use social media as a tool, not as a primary source of our activities. We need to grow a generation with understanding of what they might loos in the media communication without personal interaction. And today is the right moment to start it, because tomorrow could be too late.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar