Rhetorical Analysis Project

Calendar Forums Blog Rhetorical Analysis Project

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #290
    Cindy Reka
    Participant

Cindy Reka

Eng. 2150

Prof. Rice-Evans

Rhetorical analysis of Cultural Artifact

“Smells Like Teen Spirit”

Forms of rhetoric can be identified in various forms, from movies to articles to paintings to songs. Music in particular is a form of rhetoric that has encapsulated audiences for centuries. Personally, I chose “Smells Like Teen Spirit” as an homage to a period in time when the grunge rock scene was most prominent and would forever mark this era with a distinct aura of teenage rebellion- the 90’s. The rhetor in this case is the band Nirvana but more distinctly the singer Kurt Cobain, who would later become a monolith for music, for the next decades to come. The late legend is regarded as one of Rock’s most iconic figures, and goes down as one of the most painful, tragic celebrity deaths in the public eye.

The most logical conclusion is that their largest fan base was that of teenage girls, however I do believe when it comes to Nirvana, their reach was so widespread it could have encompassed people of any age, gender, or position in society. Generally though, I would say the intended audience for this piece of rhetoric would have to be angsty, rebellious teenagers- only because their style of music is widely know as different, out there, and meaningful.

What appeals most to the audience about the rhetor seems to be his vulnerability and emotionality. He was “different” in the eyes of pop culture. He was seen as somebody who people wanted to know more about, a vulnerable tortured artist who struggled with addiction and coming to terms with his fame, in a musical niche where becoming “famous” often meant one was a sell-out.

“Smells Like Teen Spirit” was released in 1991 on Nirvana’s second album, entitled Nevermind. It would go on to be Nirvana’s biggest hit. It reached number six on the Billboard Hot 100. As Nevermind climbed up to the top of the charts, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” began to be known as the event that marked the entrance of Grunge music into the mainstream.

The limitations that this rhetor faces with his audience is that perhaps his audience may be too young for all the ideas he wants to include. The public does seem to give quite a bit of leeway to artists when it comes to creative expression, but can an artist cross the line? Controversy and drama has always been a huge part of Rock & Roll, but did Nirvana have the duty to preserve the minds of its young listeners? This means it would be harder for him to talk about truly explicit things, because of his impressional fan base. Also, was it socially acceptable for him to speak explicitly about his drug habits, or did he have to come up with ways to express himself in his songs about such ordeals in indiscreet and hidden ways.

The text in this song definitely does circulate, and it is done on purpose. This is called the chorus. For example, in “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” we see the repetition of lyrics almost entirely though out the song. The lyrics of the song go as such:

“Load up on guns, bring your friends
    It’s fun to lose and to pretend
    She’s over-bored and self-assured
    Oh no, I know a dirty word
    Hello, hello, hello, how low
    Hello, hello, hello, how low
    Hello, hello, hello, how low
    Hello, hello, hello
    With the lights out, it’s less dangerous
    Here we are now, entertain us
    I feel stupid and contagious
    Here we are now, entertain us
    A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido
    Yeah, hey
    I’m worse at what I do best
    And for this gift I feel blessed
    Our little group has always been
    And always will until the end
    Hello, hello, hello, how low
    Hello, hello, hello, how low
    Hello, hello, hello, how low
    Hello, hello, hello
    Here we are now, entertain us
    I feel stupid and contagious
    Here we are now, entertain us
    Yeah, hey
    And I forget just why I taste
    Oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile
    I found it hard, it’s hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, never mind
    Hello, hello, hello, how low
    Hello, hello, hello, how low
    Hello, hello, hello, how low
    Hello, hello, hello
    Here we are now, entertain us
    I feel stupid and contagious
    Here we are now, entertain us
    A denial, a denial, a denial, a denial, a denial
    A denial, a denial, a denial, a denial”

We can see just how much the lyrics are repeated. From this, we can draw the conclusion that whatever is repeated is done so with emphasis and purpose. However, some people would infer the very opposite. That the lyrics perhaps are made to be very nonchalant and perhaps meaningless, since on the surface they seem to bare no immediate reference to recognizable ideas and thoughts.

The message of this song is not entirely clear, but what seems to speak louder to me is the vibe, or underlying tone of the song. The melody comes across as rambunctious and energetically charged. It creates a feeling of unrequited anger and melancholic angst, something teenagers are stereotypically know to embody. So naturally, over time, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” began to be know as an anthem for teenage rebellion/angst.

The rhetor’s address works because its aggressive and angsty and provides for a good gateway of understanding for fans that feel the same way. My favorite part of the song is when he says, “I’m worse at what I do best, and for this gift I feel blessed.” For some reason, I like the way these lines sound together, and although I do not think he intended for these lyrics to be deep, I do think in the end they speak to many people. In the end, I do think the overall style and vibe of the song is what makes it work. Its an anthem for teenage rebellion and a channel for kids to express themselves in ways they previously didn’t know existed.

The rhetor uses ethos, logos, and pathos, although I do not think he uses them consciously. He doesn’t really use ethos and logos as far as I can tell, but he does use words that may generate empathy or emotion, such as “over-bored, self-assured, dangerous, blessed, smile, and denial.” These words release a certain feeling to the listener that elicits a reaction. It makes the listener invest more in the artist’s message and creates more of an intrigue on the part of the audience.

Since this song goes down as one of the most famous songs in modern musical history, I believe the rhetor accomplished his purpose of reaching as many people as possible with his work. Although this may not have been his goal, as an artist this is often the only solid way to measure the success of one’s work. The song will forever go down in history as the definitive piece of the 90’s. In 1997, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s list of “The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.