Week 1 Response

Calendar Forums Blog Week 1 Response

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Zi Chuang Wang
    Participant

<div class=”_3_bl”>
    <div class=”_5w1r _3_om _5wdf”>
    <div class=”_4gx_”>
    <div class=”_1aa6″><span class=”_5yl5″>Before this assignment I didn’t really have a complete understanding of rhetorics and honestly I’m still not one hundred percent sure but the readings helped me get a better grasp on the idea. The first reading tried to explain the history behind rhetorics and how it is present in most of our daily communication. They discussed the views of famous Greek philosophers and what they thought of rhetorics. Plato was rather against it while Aristotle was for the use of rhetorics and emphasized the importance of it. He believed that the use of rhetorics could help reinforce good behavior in the general public. They explained that the use of ethos, logos, pathos, and kairos were extremely important. The use of a graphic novel type of set up helped grab my attention and keep me interested. The second reading was much lengthier and honestly much more difficult for me to read. From what I could grasp, it was mainly about the presence of rhetorics in our ever changing digital landscape. It explained that the use of visual rhetoric relies on three important terms: audience stance, transparency, and hybridity. Audience stance refers to the ways the reader is captured by the online documents. The author invoked ethos this way by encouraging or discouraging certain types of interactivity for the reader. Transparency refers to the way the online document is designed in order to create a sense of familiarity through the use of established conventions. Hybridity refers to the way the online document blends visual and verbal traits in order to create some type of aesthetic pleasure for the reader. The second reading is meant to show the readers how to properly spot and analyze the use of visual rhetoric in our daily use of the internet. Overall these two readings were relatively interesting although the second one was more difficult for me. They helped me gain a more thorough understanding of the way our daily interactions are set up through the use of rhetoric.</span></div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>

Hey Zi Chuang–

I’m glad you enjoyed the graphic novel reading! I also really appreciate that you discussed your difficulty with the second reading. Next time, try to use these responses as a space to think about real-life examples to try to figure out what a difficult reading is *actually* talking about.

See if you can try to make connections between your own experiences and the stuff we’re reading.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar