Calendar Forums Blog Week 2

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Samuel Mariano
    Participant

During week 2, we were tasked with finding an online article that uses visual elements within the text. I decided to search the NY section of The New York Times to help find an article that would teach me more about what is going on around me. While browsing the section I landed an article which had a title that drew me straight in, “He Stopped at a Traffic Light in Queens. Moments Later, He Was Shot Dead.” By Jan Ransom.

This was a concise article explaining the events that lead to the death of a beloved New York City correctional officer who was gunned down in his own car by a motorcyclist that he had exchanged a few words with. Officer Jonathan Narain was on his way to work at Riker’s Island on Friday morning but never made it to work that day, as he was shot once in the head at a red light. This is still an ongoing investigation as the motorcyclist has not been identified or caught yet. His partner, Mauricio Londono, 35, a correctional officer, said, “He always wanted to be a community person and was a firm believer in right and wrong.”

This article contains three visual elements which help to support his partners claim and role in his community. They show the look of pain, as those grieve around a candle lit vigil in his honor. It shows not just family or friends, but that the whole community is there for support. These visual elements help you emphasize and personally make me realize that your life can be gone at any moment. No one deserves to lose their life on the way to their job, in just the blink of an eye. At only 27 years old, we will not be able to see Officer Narain help the community in the ways he had dreamed. This article’s purpose is to shed light on the death of the beloved officer, show how the community rallies behind him, to help him live on, and to push for any and all help to find the one responsible for taking his life way too early.

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/14/nyregion/officer-shooting-queens.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fnyregion&action=click&contentCollection=nyregion&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=8&pgtype=sectionfront

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar