Week 2 Assignment

Calendar Forums Blog Week 2 Assignment

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #178
    Wei Tao Liu
    Participant

In the article, “DUBAI, THE WORLD’S VEGAS”, which I found on the website, THE NEW YORKER, the author went to Dubai with his wife to Sri Lanka for their honeymoon, on their way of flight, there was a stop on Dubai and they were given two option, a quick deplaning and return to the plane or to stay in Dubai for a day. They stayed in Dubai for a day because they never went to Dubai in the past. The author used lots of visual rhetoric in this article, there was a lot of pictures in the article and he also talks about the places he went to Dubai and the beautiful scenery he saw there. After reading this article, I really like to travel to other countries because it sounds great, but I actually thought about taking a flight to somewhere like Japan for a trip during Summer too, so this article made me think about going to Japan again.

This article intended to persuade readers to visit Dubai, or somewhere we never went before, and the pictures come with the article played an important role with the messages the author gave in the article. We know that people won’t be so desperate for something when we read only messages, so when we look in the pictures, it really makes a big difference. From the Hocks, the author did use some elements like pathos when he said free sandwiches (I love sandwiches as well!) and logos when he said “We figured that Dubai was a destination we’d fly through but never to” and then decide to stay at Dubai for a day, which appeal to me logically, and the graphics guide was used by the author as well, there were many photos of the beautiful scenery and buildings <span style=”background-color: #f6d5d9;”>that</span> the author talked about in the article and the connections made the article itself more persuasive.

<audio style=”display: none;” controls=”controls”></audio>

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.