Week 7 response

Calendar Forums Blog Week 7 response

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Woo
    Participant

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>On the topic of whether or not Social Media is Geography-Specific and is a legitimate source of information, I believe only one of the two to is true. Although one of the goals of social media is to connect and relate with people who are outside of your demographic, it can be seen that social media is geography-specific. Today more and more of one’s cultural identity comes from social media and this identity differs from area to area. For example, New York and California culture are vastly different. Things like fashion, language and interests are completely different for a 18 year old in California and an 18 year old in New York. Although these differences can be attributed to many different factors, I believe that one main factor is the differences between social media in the two states. The people from New York tend to “follow” or interact more with social media relevant to New York, likewise people from California will do the same. Are Californians not allowed to follow social media relevant to New York? No, on the contrary, the very nature of social media would encourage people from different regions to find interest in pages and people outside of their own region. However, realistically social media remains geographically divided. While New Yorkers might be able to view and see memes and pages made for and by Californians, they won’t be able to relate to it on the same level a Californian would. In regards to social media being deemed a “legitimate source” of information, I believe that to be false. While I do believe that social media is a very raw and natural source of information, there are so many biases and factors that play into social media for it to be regarded as legitimate. One of the biggest issues with social media as a credible source is the credibility of it’s authors, or the lack thereof. Anyone can access social media, well so is wikipedia but some may argue that wikipedia is a generally trusted source of information, so what is the difference? The difference is that wikipedia editors are a generally small and relatively informed demographic that I believe tend to gravitate to facts and objectivity in their posts, while social media users are the opposite. The vast majority of youths today use social media and I believe that many of these users have very passionate and charged posts that can be very misleading. Very often young and inexperienced users will post very aggressive and opinionated posts about a specific topic which leads to others believing in their opinions.</span>

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar