Weekly response #10

Calendar Forums Blog Weekly response #10

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #471
    Karina Lopez
    Participant

Blog response #10

This week’s assignment was to watch the movie “Her”. It is a movie that I’ve never seen before but I really enjoyed watching it. It conveyed more emotion than I was expecting, given the fact that the story was about a man falling in love with a computer operating system. It made me start to think about the relationship that people in general have with technology nowadays. Undeniably, the world has become dependent on computers and tech but in sometimes it has become an addiction. I look around on a normal day during my commute, at the coffee shop, in the park, and no matter where I turn, almost every person is on their cell phones. We must admit technological advances have made education, the medical field and businesses, much more successful and competitive. I also have to admit, that I’ve become part of the cycle as well. Working and being a student, the constant need of checking emails, texting and calling is a vital part of my everyday life. I feel that at this point, I would not be able to go a day without my phone or my laptop. Facetiming still feels authentic to me because it’s a more intimate interaction than mere texts and emails. Technology has such an important and necessary part of our lives that soon there won’t be an anything we can’t do without a computer behind it. Technology has been both a blessing and a curse because it has made our lives easier but it has also made us so dependent on it that it’s nearly impossible to go day to day without it. Artificial intelligence is making huge advances and I feel that is the main focus for tech right now. The similarities of some of these human-like robots to us is uncanny and sometimes just downright scary. Some can form facial expressions almost like if they had emotions and I wouldn’t doubt that we’ll find a way to make these robots think, just like the operating systems in “Her”. Soon we might have robots cooking and cleaning for us!

Meme:

[cid:7876097c-ff1d-4502-af3e-f8fe0a7a052f]

With this meme, I wanted to point out the very close relationship I have with my phone and unhealthy dependence I have. Obviously the emotion of the dog on the left is of utter annoyance and the happiness that is portrayed by the joyful turtle on the right is my exact sentiment when I can actually check my phone again.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.